Hoops is available to play in the "Extra Modes" playlist and in offline games.
In online ranked matches, the teams are limited to 2v2. However, in offline games, the match creator can select from 1v1 up to 4v4.
- Much smaller arena, with a low ceiling allowing for ceiling bounces
- "Jump ball"-style kickoff, similar to the Dropshot gamemode
- Basketball style, raised vertical goals, requiring players to make shots that drop in vertically. There is a large painted backboard behind the hoop, but it is for visual guidance only, as it is seamless with the back wall.
- The basket nets block balls but allow players to drive through them and goal-tend from inside the net to make saves. The net has a ramped shape, so a solid rolling ground shot can ramp its way in for a score. The actual rim itself is solid for both, so cars are blocked by it and can even sit or 'skate' on it.
- The gamemode features a basketball-style announcer voice and exclamations associated with basketball.
- When cars tires squeal, they make a squeaking sound like basketball shoes on a court. This typically happens when drifting or landing on the ground from the air.
- There is a basketball-style buzzer sound when a goal is made.
Observations and Tips
The round begins with a "Jump Ball", which flies up about 15 meters. The jump ball height and the limited boost make it difficult for players to hit the kickoff.
A missed jump ball by one side will often lead to a quick score by the other side. It is advisable to have one player pull back into the net to guard against the missed jump ball.
In online play, players typically struggle to score a lot more in hoops than in soccer mode, as you have to either lift or guide the ball in from above in some way. Because of this, it might be a more difficult game mode to play, at least from a scoring perspective.
Probably the two easiest shots to make in this mode are a lob ground shot, using the backboard as necessary, and a hard-hitting pinch from the corner.
A new striking skill should be developed for this mode when the ball is near the hoop, which is the ability to place your car directly under the dropping ball, but just to one side a bit, just enough that when you jump, it will lift it at an angle, up and over the rim. Developing this shot will yield lots of scores.
Also, the ability to dribble up and around the wall, letting it fall into the hoop. Hitting hard, long rollers on the right path will also achieve this.
Due to the increased shot difficulty, it may be useful to try "alley-oops." In this context, this means that when a teammate has taken a shot, but it appears that the shot will miss, the other teammate should redirect the ball while it is still in the air and try to score.
Players should get accustomed to defending shots from inside the net, and be aware that the ball does not have to hit the floor of the net to score. It only needs to drop about half way between the rim and the floor.
- Main article: Trophies
The following trophies were created specifically for the Hoops gamemode:
Score at least 2 Dunks in the first minute of a Hoops game
With 30 seconds left, win a game of Hoops in which you were tied or trailing
|Competitive||Standard • Doubles • Solo Duel • Solo Standard|
|Extra Modes||Rumble • Dropshot • Hoops • Snow Day|
|Recurring LTMs||Spike Rush • Beach Ball • Heatseeker • Rocket Labs • Tactical Rumble • Dropshot Rumble • Boomer Ball • Winter Breakaway • Super Cube • Speed Demon • Spring Loaded|
|Event-Exclusive LTMs||Ghost Hunt • Gridiron • Gotham City Rumble|
|Mutators||Moonball • Demolition • Time Warp • Pinball • Cubic|
|Other||Training • Tournaments|
|Currently playable game modes appear in blue (including those that can be played in private matches).|
Permanently discontinued game modes appear in gray and are no longer available to play.